The DON BOSCO EDUCATIONAL PROJECTS (DBEP) incorporates the following three projects:
Declan Collins Skills Centre (DCSC)
Laura Vicuña Educational Centre (LVEC)
Sancta Maria Early Childhood Development Centre (SMECD)
• DBEP was founded in 1997 by the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians – the Salesian Sisters, also known as FMA. The FMA have been working in Ennerdale and Finetown since 1992.
• The Salesians of Don Bosco, Priests and Brothers also known as SDB have worked in South Africa since1896 and in Ennerdale, Finetown and Lawley since 1970.
• Upon their arrival to the area, their research revealed an alarming HIV/Aids infection rate, abuse, numerous child-headed households, dire poverty, social exclusion and rejection, homelessness and general despair amongst the young children in some of the areas. In addition, many children of school going age were not attending school.
• The FMA and SDB have a long history of educating and empowering youth and children who for various reasons are unable to sustain a formal education and who find themselves homeless, parenting orphaned families, suffering from HIV/AIDS, subjected to social degradation, dire poverty and abuse.
• The SDB have combined their expertise with the FMA to promote an integrated educational Centre in Ennerdale to provide basic education and skills to young people not able to register at formal educational institutes.
• The SDB and FMA, together with community and church leaders in Ennerdale, Finetown and Lawley recognised the demand for the establishment of a life and practical skills centre in Ennerdale, which is situated close enough to the poorer surrounding settlement areas i.e. Finetown, Mountain View, Lawley, and Weilers Farm.
- The centre is situated in Ennerdale, approximately 40 km south of the Johannesburg CBD. It is in a region which forms the southern edge of the city of Johannesburg’s municipal border.
- This area is far removed from the rest of the city and little development has taken place here.
- Ennerdale is a middle to low income residential area surrounded by a sea of settlements.
- The majority of informal settlement dwellers seek out a living by doing domestic work, gardening and other menial tasks in Ennerdale, Lenasia South & Lenasia. A small percentage of the population have formal employment in Johannesburg
- The land on which SMECD is situated belongs to the Archdiocese of Johannesburg
- The land on which DBEP and LVEC has been erected belongs to the Salesians of Don Bosco.
Don Bosco Educational Projects
NPO Registration No: 039-918 / PBONo: 930 003 621
Incorporating: Declan Collins Skills Centre | Laura Vicuña Educational Centre | Sancta Maria Early Childhood Development Centre